A Service of The Hummer Network
The Original Hummer Owners' Web Sites, Since 1996

If you have benefited from the Marketplace, do the right thing. Please Donate

potential conman/spammer emailing through the froum

If you consider an ad to be spam, a scam or fraud, or you know there's a crook about, please report it here. Opinions expressed here are those of the author(s) only. The Hummer Network is not responsible for anything posted here.

potential conman/spammer emailing through the froum

Postby Donnie on Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:57 am

After replying to a thread here I was emailed through the forum (I guess?). Offering a 2004 H1 with lots of lovely photos in perfect condition for 35,000. I WILL TAKE TWO PLEASE!

The emailer is jh_haustweit@comcast.net

The IP source of the email googles as a forumspammer. 91.232.96.30

http://www.stopforumspam.com/ipcheck/91.232.96.30

Anyone else approached?

NOTE the emailer has nothing to do with the topic poster I replied to.
Donnie

Re: potential conman/spammer emailing through the froum

Postby admin on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:17 pm

This is not the e-mail address of any Marketplace user. There is no Marketplace user under that IP address either.

If an e-mail was sent via the Marketplace, it would include the username of the sender and look like this:

Hello (your username),

The following is an e-mail sent to you by (sender's username) via your account on "Hummer Marketplace". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

marketplace@hummernetwork.com

Include this full e-mail (particularly the headers). Please note that the reply address to this e-mail has been set to that of (sender's username).

Message sent to you follows

(message body)

If you received the e-mail in question in the format above, please find the sender's username and send it in a reply to this PM.

If that e-mail had been sent via the Marketplace, it would not trace to that IP address. That makes it impossible that it was sent via the Marketplace. If the "IP source of the email" is the IP mentioned above, it was sent to you directly by the spammer/scammer and not via the Marketplace.

None of your Marketplace posts include your e-mail address. If you have ever included your e-mail address in a post here (note that there is a warning posted about this), and have since deleted that post, it might explain where the spammer/scammer got your e-mail address. Otherwise, it must have been obtained somewhere else.

All new registrations are checked against stopforumspam.com. Any that are listed there are not given access to the Marketplace. We are extremely diligent about this.

Thanks.
If the Hummer Marketplace has worked for you, donations are appreciated.

Thanks.
admin
Site Admin

Return to Report Spam, Scams or Crooks