A Service of The Hummer Network
The Original Hummer Owners' Web Sites, Since 1996

If you have benefited from the Marketplace, do the right thing. Please Donate

Marketplace Category organization

If you have a problem or question about using the Marketplace, ask it here.

Marketplace Category organization

Postby gr8tunr on Sun May 22, 2011 4:30 pm

Hi Bob,
I have a suggestion to add the following 3 sub-categories to the "H1 and HMMWV Categories" section. I would suggest "H1s Wanted", "HMMWVs Wanted", and "H1 and HMMWV Parts/Accessories Wanted" (notice I added H1and HMMWV to the Parts/Accessories Wanted).
I know there is a specific "Wanted to Buy or Trade" category, but it covers all Hummer lines which is I think one of the reasons H1 owners (which I believe comprise a majority of the members here), really don't look into those sub-categories (I never did until it was pointed out to me). Maybe the proposed sub categories could remain in the current location AND be installed in "H1 and HMMWV Categories".
It's just a thought, but the number of posts and visitors to the Wanted to Buy or Trade category are very low and infrequent. It might also help keep down the number of misplaced ads too... i.e. there is an ad for trading a Honda NSX for a Hummer H1 in the H1's for Sale category right now.
Anyway, you know your website structure better than me... I just thought this might help H1 specific owners find everything they need in one category and boost end results for the people that post. Thanks for your time!

Franco Skilan
1992 4DHT LE
(Factory Slantback Conversion)
(Soon to be Cummins/Allison Conversion)
gr8tunr

Re: Marketplace Category organization

Postby Hummer Network on Sun May 22, 2011 4:48 pm

I will give this suggestion some consideration. Everything was thoroughly thought out before launching this version of the Marketplace. This will also be thoroughly thought out. It could lead to confusion and more mis-posting. It would also mean having to move many, many listings.

Look at the numbers in the column under "Views" in the H1s Wanted category:

viewforum.php?f=57

People do look there.

If you're not satisfied with the responses to your ad, please don't blame the way the Marketplace is organized. Maybe there's just little or no interest in the trade you are offering. There wasn't much, if any, interest on the HML either.

Thanks.
Serving the Hummer community since 1996
Hummer Network

Postby gr8tunr on Sun May 22, 2011 5:23 pm

Bob,
No blame on the MP or HML from my end! I was simply making a suggestion based on my own searching habits, actually getting in and using the MP lately, and convenience on finding things all H1 oriented. As it is now, the "Wanted to Buy or Trade Category" covers many different vehicles (especially the generic "Parts and Accessories wanted"). For that matter, that same structure I suggested could work for the H2 Categories and H3 Categories and make them more user-specific too.
In any case, like I said, you know your website best and it was just a friendly suggestion. I certainly don't want to make more work for you unnecessarily (I know how hard structure changes can be for a website). Thank you for the comprehensive site and for your consideration!

Franco Skilan
1992 4DHT LE
(Factory Slantback Conversion)
(Soon to be Cummins/Allison Conversion)
gr8tunr

Postby Hummer Network on Sun May 22, 2011 6:03 pm

gr8tunr wrote:Bob,
No blame on the MP or HML from my end! I was simply making a suggestion based on my own searching habits, actually getting in and using the MP lately, and convenience on finding things all H1 oriented. As it is now, the "Wanted to Buy or Trade Category" covers many different vehicles (especially the generic "Parts and Accessories wanted"). For that matter, that same structure I suggested could work for the H2 Categories and H3 Categories and make them more user-specific too.
In any case, like I said, you know your website best and it was just a friendly suggestion. I certainly don't want to make more work for you unnecessarily (I know how hard structure changes can be for a website). Thank you for the comprehensive site and for your consideration!

The HML has had online classifieds, in one form or another, for nearly 15 years. The current Marketplace is based on a lot of experience. Before launching this version, I did consider combining For Sale and Wanted to Buy, but felt it would be much too confusing. You can't depend on people to be specific in their listings, or clear whether they're selling or wanting to buy.

I have never seen any classifieds, online or otherwise, that have Wanted categories under or combined with For Sale categories. That would just be confusing. This is also the very first time anyone has suggested this in all these years.

If it makes things clearer, I could split the main "Hummer Categories" into "For Sale" and "Wanted" main categories, then split the Wanted section into separate categories, but that could lead to clutter, which is something I try very hard to avoid. Clutter makes things more difficult to find.

The "Wanted to Buy" categories are model-specific except for "Parts and Accessories". The only reason I did not make that model-specific is that I just didn't anticipate many for H2s or H3s. No sense in cluttering that section with categories that would not get much use. Like I said, it was very thoroughly thought out.

Thanks.

PS - Historically, ads to trade other vehicles for Hummers are not very successful, even if they're comparable in value. Offhand, I cannot recall a single one that resulted in a trade being made. Hummers are just different kinds of beasts.
Serving the Hummer community since 1996
Hummer Network

Return to Marketplace-Related Questions